Mushroom Toxicity

You may notice from time to time your yard has sprouted something interesting…it’s mushrooms! Mushrooms appear when environmental conditions are nice wet and warm, and when it’s the perfect mix mushrooms can shoot up overnight! Animals are naturally curious, so these new little additions to the garden may peak their interest, but did you know this puts your pet in dangerous waters! While some mushroom species are nontoxic, most of them still are. As your curious pet discovers these mushrooms, they are putting themselves at risk of eating and becoming seriously ill with mushroom toxicity.


Common signs to look out for if you think your pet has ingested a mushroom is:

  • Vomiting

  • Diarrhea

  • Liver failure (confirmed via blood test)

  • Abdominal pain

  • Nausea

  • Drooling

  • And in extreme cases, death

  • These signs show up within 2-24 hours on ingestion

As a measure of precaution it is best to assume that all wild mushrooms are toxic, therefore remove any wild mushrooms that may grow in your yard immediately. Make sure to keep an eye on your pet when out on a walk and even train your pet to come and stay so you can direct them away from any mushrooms in sight. If you suspect that your pet has eaten a mushroom, take them to the vet to assess them and ensure their safety. 

Therapeutic Dog Services Incorporated

Get in Touch

For all inquiries please contact

Therapeutic Dog Services

Email: therapydogs@tdsinc.com.au

Phone: 0481293370

or

AAI Discovery Centre

Email:

support@tdsinc.com.au

Phone: 0415 132 654

For all inquiries please contact us

Memberships
Registry
Training
Contact Us
Members Login
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • Instagram
Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Refunds
Contact Us

©2001 - 2019 Therapeutic Dog Services Incorporated. All rights reserved.